Sunday, July 23, 2017

Speak To Me Of Summer: July 23rd, 2017 Playlist



I did not expect this playlist to sound so trippy and heavy when I put it together. I never listened to it in its entirety, just bits and pieces, at best two or three songs in a row. Following along with all four listeners this past Sunday, I got to hear it in its raw, ragged glory. I'm really happy with it. Stylistically it's all over the place - Jim Carroll to Graham Nash to Yes to Funkadelic - but it all fits together seamlessly (mostly). 

The trippiness takes off with the Monkees' track, "Admiral Mike" and Deep Purple's "No One Came." The CSNY block has two straight ahead rockers and Nash's romantic pop tune, but Crosby's and Young's are heavy duty stoned madness. Coming out of those songs into Julian Cope's "If You Loved Me at All" only seems a release for the first minute or so, but then it veers into wonderfully craziness.

From the Bolero-esque soloing of Steve Howe on "Starship Trooper," to heavy riffing of Eddie Hazel on "Super Stupid" and Alvin Lee on "Going Home," the rest of the show is a showcase for loud, often droning, guitars. I don't know how well my handful of listeners took it, but for me, it was like a bolt was drilled into my head and filled up with stuff weird and wonderful.


Music I Like, vol 1, #4 - Speak to Me of Summer

SongArtistSourceYear
Wicked GravityJim CarrollCatholic Boy1980
How Low is LowThe GodfathersMore Songs About Love and Hate1989
See No EvilTelevisionMarquee Moon1976
Admiral MikeThe MonkeesJustus1996
No One CameDeep PurpleFireball1971
Everybody I Love YouCSNYDeja Vu1970
Cowboy MovieDavid CrosbyIf I Could Only Remember My Name1971
Right NowManassasManassas1972
I Used to Be a KingGraham NashSongs for Beginners1971
Revolution BluesNeil YoungOn the Beach1974
If You Loved Me At AllJulian CopePeggy Suicide1991
Satellite of LoveLou ReedTransformer1972
Spanish StrollMink DeVilleCabretta1977
Just Another NightIan HunterYou're Never Alone With a Schizophrenic1979
Back in the NightDr. FeelgoodMalpractice1975
I Want to See the Bright Lights TonightRichard/Linda ThompsonI Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight1974
Starship TrooperYesYes Album1971
Decline and FallAtomic RoosterAtomic Rooster1970
Enter the RiffianWo FatPsychedelonaut2009
Sin's A Good Man's BrotherGrand Funk RailroadCloser to Home1970
MedusaTrapezeMedusa1970
Cherry RedThe GroundhogsSplit1971
Super StupidFunkadelicMaggot Brain1970
I'm Going HomeTen Years AfterUndead1968


No comments:

Post a Comment