Sunday, July 30, 2017

Beneath the Backstreet Light: July 30th, 2017 Playlist

CLICK HERE TO HEAR THE SHOW


I played several themed or connected blocks this week. I opened with a trio of New York punk (but not quite punk) artists - the Dictators, Blondie, and David Johansen. Then I tried an experiment that failed on several fronts. I was a teenager in the late seventies and early eighties, and much of the music I loved was, if not Top 40, popular radio tracks. My plan was to play several songs not usually heard by various bands. The primary failure was in my basic intent. There's no real reason to play bands you can hear on any rock station around the world on pretty much any given day. So, Boston and Styx will probably never show up again unless I can really argue it out with myself and make sense. As to Supertramp and ELO, well, definitely, but in a different context, most likely as part of a prog set. The second failure came when I couldn't play the Supertramp song ("Oh Darling" for you who care), and I stepped all over the end of the Styx song. Total crap performance on my part. 

The short folky set was drafted to surround Y'all's "Mamaw." They were a folk/country/gospel duo who lived and played in NYC back in the 90s whom I saw several times and contributed money to releasing one of their albums. Their songs make me incredibly happy when I play them, on their own, and as links to a past in NYC before 9/11 and insane gentrification and overbuilding.

Next came the Mod/Modern block. Paul Weller and others in the nineties were moved to create some great music with roots in the Mod and freakbeat sounds of sixties London. So, I several tracks from the Small Faces and similar bands followed by Weller and several similar artists. It was easily the tunes I've loved putting together and playing most of all so far at Music I Like. Those who know me know I ain't no dancer, and yet I found myself bopping along to these songs. 

Finally, before ending the show with a Broadway-style track from Alice Cooper's School's Out, I mixed things up with funny songs and very British songs. A mixed and enjoyable lot I have to say. 

Keep tune in every Sunday - 4-6pm at www.MakerParkRadio.nyc and let me know what you think.


Music I Like, vol 1, #5 - Beneath the Backstreet Light

1New York, New YorkManitoba's Wild KingdomAnd You?1990
2Fan MailBlondiePlastic Letters1978
3FrenchetteDavid JohansenDavid Johansen1978
4Something About YouBostonBoston1976
5Oh DarlingSupertrampBreakfast in America1979
6Haven't We Been Here BeforeStyxKilroy Was Here1983
7Since You've Been GoneRainbowDown to Earth1979
8Rockaria!ELOA New World Record1976
9Brand New CadillacVince Taylorsingle1959
10Please Don't TouchJohnny Kidd & the Piratessingle1959
11Mull of KintyreWingssingle1977
12Be StillLos LobosThe Neighborhood1990
13MamawY'allThe Next Big Thing1994
14Waiting for the Great 
Leap Forward
Billy BraggWorkers' Playtime1988
15All Her Favorite FruitCamper van BeethovenKey Lime Pie1989
16Song of a BakerSmall FacesOgdens' Nut Gone Flake1968
17Coloured RainTrafficMr. Fantasy1967
18Butchers and BakersLes Fleur de Lyssingle (as Chocolate Frog)1968
19ChangingmanPaul WellerStanley Road1995
20Timeless MelodyThe LasThe Las1990
21The Riverboat SongOcean Colour SceneMoseley Shoals1996
22MankindCastAll Change1995
23Goodbye, Eddie, GoodbyecasePhantom of the Paradise1974
24Rubber Bullets10CC10CC1973
25Vicky VerkySqueezeArgybargy1980
26See Emily PlayDavid BowiePin Ups1973
27It Must Be LoveMadnesssingle1981
28Prince of the PunksThe Kinkssingle1977
29Girl of My DreamsBram TchaikovskyStrange Man Changed Man1979
30Rat PatrolNaked RaygunThrob Throb1985
31Still There's HopeYoung Fresh FellowsThis One's for the Ladies1989
32Grande FinaleAlice CooperSchool's Out1972

No comments:

Post a Comment