Sunday, August 6, 2017

That Music's Gone, Gone: August 6th, 2017


The British rock block on the 30th's show was my favorite set so far - but then I said that already. It was so much fun it led me directly back to Britpop, a genre I haven't listened to much lately. The past couple of years have seen my tastes tend toward the heavier. Turning back to Britpop was a blast. Aside from the heavy weights like Oasis and Blur, it meant digging out the Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, the Charlatans, and many more. Throwing it together somewhat chronologically was cool too. The evolution from Madchester to the Camden Town sound isn't always obvious, but lined up back to back it sounds great. It also meant checking out some stuff I never got to the first time around back in the mid-nineties, like Black Grape and the Divine Comedy. If you don't know the songs I played, do yourself a favor, and when the show's finally posted on Mixler (soon, they tell me), check it out at your leisure and let the sounds of Cool Britannia wash over you.

The rockabilly set is a little cursory compared to the Britpop. Aside from all the songs being a lot shorter, I really only skimmed a little cream off the top from a handful of the top players - Carl Perkins, Wanda Jackson, etc. There's so much more to the genre, but then you can always check out Tom Ferrie's show on the station, Nowhere Fast. Still, it's a pretty boss set and a great introduction to one of the primary root sounds of rock 'n' roll. Also, there damn few folks in rock as cool as Carl Perkins - ever.
The rest of the set, from Queen's declamatory "Let Me Entertain You" to Twisted Sister's "I'll Never Grow Up" are pure examples of the show's title  - Music I Like. The finale, 9 plus minutes of raging, raving sounds, Humble Pie's 1971 live version of "I Don't Need No Doctor" is one of my absolute favorites.


Music I Like, vol 1, #6 - That Music's Gone, Gone

SongArtistSourceYear
Let Me Entertain YouQueenJazz1978
(You Really) Rock MeNick GilderFrequency1979
Love Comes in SpurtsRichard Hell & the VoidoidsBlank Generation1977
Muscle of LoveAlice CooperMuscle of Love1973
Future DaysNebulaApollo2006
Go Gothe PrisonersTheWiserMiserDemlza1983
Hurricanethe PrisonersTheWiserMiserDemlza1983
Waterfallthe Stone RosesThe Stone Roses1988
Kinky AfroHappy MondaysPills 'n' Thrills and Bellyaches1990
GenerationsInspiral CarpetsRevenge of the Goldfish1992
Cigarettes & AlcoholOasisDefinitely Maybe1994
Trouble in the Message CentreBlurParklife1994
Common PeoplePulpDifferent Class1995
Something for the WeekendThe Divine ComedyCasanova1996
Wake Up Boo!the Boo RadleysWake Up!1995
How Highthe CharlatansTellin' Stories1996
Kung FuAsh19771996
Caught By the FuzzSupergrassI Should Coco1995
God! Show Me MagicSuper Furry AnimalsFuzzy Logic1996
LonelyBlack GrapeStupid Stupid Stupid1997
Will You, WillyumJanis Martinsingle1956
The Train Kept A-rollin'Johnny Burnette Triosingle1956
Thirty DaysRonnie Hawkins and the Hawkssingle1959
Crazy Man CrazyBill Haley & the Cometssingle1953
Baby Loves HimWanda Jacksonsingle1957
Her Love Rubbed OffCarl Perkinssingle1957
Crazy LegsGene Vincents & the Blue Capssingle1957
I'm In Troublethe ReplacementsSorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash1981
I'll Never Grow UpTwisted SisterClub Daze Vol. 11999
Swallow My Pridethe RamonesLeave Home1977
Faster and Louderthe DictatorsBloodbrothers1978
Tapioca Tundrathe MonkeesThe Birds, the Bees & the Monkees1968
All NighterElasticaElastica1995
I Don't Need No DoctorHumble PiePerformance: Rockin' the Fillmore1971

No comments:

Post a Comment